Thursday, February 25, 2016

Drawing Close to Jesus

"Let's draw our prayers ..."

Lent is a time when we welcome more quiet into our worship. But quiet is not about doing less. It is about worshiping in a different way. We often associate prayer with words or with silence, with still hands and bodies, but during our silence in Lent our hands are busy as we draw.


But how is drawing a form of praying? Aren't these simply observational drawings? And isn't that enough? Observational drawing is wonderful for young minds, as is the opportunity to exercise fine motor skill, color choice, sharing materials ... The list could go on, but none of this is why we draw in worship. 


A few weeks back Ms Sytsma introduced the idea that there are many ways to hold our hands while we pray ... like a flame, like a rock, fingers folded together, palms out, even with arms outstretched. Just as their are different "praying hands," so too are there different ways to pray. In our minds, with our words, with song, even with musical instruments and dance as we learned during our Psalm study. Drawing is no different. When a child draws a worship story, he is meditating on the word of God, and to meditate on the word of God is a form of prayer, of drawing close to God. 


Even within the drawing, there are different ways that the children are praying, as we can see by looking at their drawings. Some think broadly, drawing the whole scene, while others draw just one or two figures. A child might choose vibrant color one day, while choosing only black the next. Children might also add themselves to the story in their picture. What a wonderful way to follow Jesus - to draw close to Jesus. 



After worship we have a time of reflection in our morning meetings. This is a time for children to view each other's work and, if they'd like, to talk about the prayer they have drawn. It is insightful and beautiful to hear the language the children use when discussing their prayers... 

"I drew the girl very dead before she woke up for Jesus," Fiona states quietly while sharing her picture.

When asked why he chose to draw Jesus all in Purple, Olo gestured towards the purple worship cloth and said, "I picked purple because I'm waiting for the Lord."

"Why did you choose to draw just Jesus?" Ms. Jordan asked Sampson. With his eyes full of wonder he answered, "Because Jesus heals."

Are you in that picture too? I asked Isabelle. She nodded 'yes.' Why did you put yourself in the story?  "Because I follow Jesus." 



Follow Jesus,
I will follow Jesus.
Anywhere He leads me, I will follow.
Follow Jesus,
I will follow Jesus.
Anywhere He leads, I'll go.