Monday, January 7, 2019

Park Discoveries

Changes in weather can often lead to new discoveries at the the park.  While working in the field today, the children discovered a large puddle covered in a think layer of ice. 



Tentative at first, the children soon were happily cracking and digging.  They were noticing all the different ways that they could move the ice. 




Of course, all of this exploring lead to many a muddy boot, mitten, or jacket.  But that is also an area where the children are learning and growing.  What happens if I stick my gloved hand into the puddle?



Or perhaps, what happens if I decide that I don't want to wear gloves while holding a chunk of ice? Each different experience allows the children to grow and stretch just a little bit further each time they encounter it.  



Children who as three-year-olds would never have dug in the mud, were at four happily digging into the puddle without fussing about dirty gloves.  As one person said at pick up, "I think it bothers me more than them." 


Sometimes our work is clean, but other times, our work is wet and messy and both have value and allow us space to grow in wonder, in skills, and in joyful experience of the world.